Application Screening Policies
- Everyone 18 years and older are welcome to fill out an application with us.
- For apartments and houses with 2 or more applicants, an application packet must be completed, with all applications and co-signers (if applicable) turned in, before it’s considered complete and ready for processing.
- We process the first qualified and completed set of applicants and give priority to applicants that pay a deposit to hold the property. It’s a first come, first serve basis and we try to process in order of when completed applications are received but qualified applicants willing to pay the deposit will take precedent ahead of others.
- All applicants that meet rental requirements have the option to turn in a deposit to hold the property while their application is processing. If, for some reason the application can’t be approved, then the deposit will be returned. If applicant backs out, the deposit will stay with Stewardship. Once a deposit has been placed on a property, all showings will be canceled and Stewardship will not take another deposit unless the first group falls through.
- All applicants will be asked to sign a non-disclosure form before we can run a background check (required in order to process the applications)
- We require 2 to 3 days to verify information on an application. During our busy season it could take up to 5 days to verify the information.
- Each adult applicant, 18 or older, MUST submit an application.
- Demeanor, attitude, and behavior throughout the entire application process will be considered.
- Any information provided that is incomplete, inaccurate, or falsified may be grounds for denial of the application, applicant(s), or co-signer and/or grounds of a lease agreement.
- Must provide rental history for 2 consecutive years or more that is verifiable from unbiased/unrelated sources. Rental history from a family number is not valid.
- Applicants must provide us with the information necessary to contact past landlords. We reserve the right to deny an application if, after making a good faith effort, we are unable to verify prior rental history.
- Exceptions may be made for applicants with qualified co-signers.
- If the applicant does not have 2 years of recent rental history to verify then they must provide a co-signer.
Employment/Sufficient Income Information:
- Net household income shall be at least 3 times the rent (excluding utilities).
- Must have been at job for at least 1 year and be verifiable employment (may be able to submit extra deposit if starting new job or can only show income based on bank statements such as self-employment)
- Verification of income may be made by: 1) employment verification 2) proof of self-employment may be made by verification of business license with city, prior year’s tax statement 3) proof of non-employment income 4) pay stubs 5) Social Security letter 6) financial aid statement.
- If applicant does not have enough employment information and/or does not have sufficient income then they must have a co-signer.
- All of the above listed reports may be processed on any applicant or co-signer to assist in the approval process.
- Felonies and evictions will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- Applicants with recent evictions less than 5 years and/or still owe money will be denied.
- If any of this information is falsified during the application process, or on the application itself, it will constitute an automatic denial.
- Any criminals or offenders approved may not live in units with a shared living space i.e. quads depending on the nature of the offense.
- All co-signers are held to the same standard as general applicants.
- Income must be 4-5 times the rental amount to ensure that the co-signer can cover his or her own expenses as well as the applicants.
- Must provide all necessary information.
- Must read and sign our co-signer contract, understanding what they are obligated to.
- Must give verbal confirmation of being willing co-signers.
- Doctor prescribed or aid animals are allowed with the appropriate documentation.
- Pets may or may not be permitted, dependent on the property.
- If pets are permitted, a pet application must be filled out with the appropriate documentation (vaccinations, spay/neuter) from a vet to get approved.
Serving People in Their Housing Needs
All the best in settling into your new home!